Saturday, September 6, 2008

Edgardo Vega Yunqué (1936-2008)

On August 25, 2008, controversial writer Edgardo Vega Yunqué passed away. He was the founder of the Clemente Soto Vélez Cultural Center in the Lower East Side. His obituary can be found here in the Daily News. One of the most honest obituaries I have read.
I have known Ed since the early '80s and it did not surprise me that it took two weeks for the news of his death to be released. He was one person I can truly say made up his own rules in life. He will be missed.
Here is a link to someone who had a recent encounter with Ed.
On a side note, it was approximately two weeks ago that I picked up his last published novel, Blood Fugues. Have not had a chance to read it yet but looking forward to spending some time with the book.

2 comments:

Caro said...

Hi, thanks for the ping, but the link doesn't seem to be working.

Try:

http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/2340884/33120568

I'm very, very bummed about Ed's death. Especially as it seems only death (when it's too late) wakes us up to the importance of some people.

cumba said...

I put a direct link since Blogger doesn't seem to support trackback.

Yes, Ed was definitely not appreciated while alive as most artists. It's funny that one time we had this conversation that he believed he would not be truly recognized until after his death.