Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Taste of Puerto Rico in Cities Across the Land - NYTimes.com

Nothing says the holidays to a Puerto Rican like pasteles! Memories of the kitchen full of people working together to make dozens of pasteles to distribute among the family. A few months ago, I got together with a friend and her mother to make pasteles and there is something in working together to make a meal that reminds me of my childhood. As our parents get older or die, people tend to rely on people who make them for sale.

This article from the NYT highlights one woman who maintains the tradition.


A Taste of Puerto Rico in Cities Across the Land - NYTimes.com

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Morena's Bohio said...

This reminds me of my aunt!!! It is certainly something we remember as a kids....we used to go to my aunts house....all the women migrated to the kitchen and embarked on the dish.....all the men migrated to the sports channel while us kids ran rampant all around the apartment.....there is certainly something more involved than just a dish being made....bless those that still go through the ordeal of keeping the pasteles alive!

cumba said...

I have many fond memories in both Puerto Rico and New York of this tradition. As a kid running around and excitedly anticipating having some pasteles. I still look forward to having my pasteles and not just during "las navidades"